METHOD OF SLAUGHTER
No name other than Allah’s should be mentioned over the animal at the time of slaughter.
They ask thee (O Muhammed) what is made lawful for them. Say: (all) good things are made lawful for you. And those beasts and birds of prey which ye have trained as hounds are trained, ye teach them that which Allah taught you; so eat of that which they catch for you and mention Allah’s name upon it, and observe your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is swift to take account.
According to the Shari’ah, the legal purification of the flesh of animals requires that the following conditions be met:
- The Slaughter man must be a Muslim, registered with the appropriate authority
- The animal should be slaughtered by a sharp object, which is capable of making it bleed by severing blood vessels
- The throat must be severed with a single cut, the knife must not be lifted and the cut must be below Adam’s Apple, the head is to
Remain on the animal’s body. The animal must be slaughtered in such a way that both the respiratory and jugular veins are quickly cut and blood oozes out in full making the animal dead quickly.
The name of Allah should be mentioned while slaughtering the animal in the following way: Bismillah, Allahu Akbar
REQUIREMENTS FOR ABOTTOIRS
All slaughter men must be approved by the appropriate authority
Stunning of stock may be carried out prior to slaughter so long as the animal’s heart continues to beat after stunning. It is necessary that all animals receive a head-only stun. The animal must be able to regain consciousness if need be, before the Halal cut is made. Stunning parameters should be as follows: Between 0.5 and 0.9 amps for 3 seconds and with the Halal cut to be made within six seconds after stunning. Processing of carcasses may not commence until the animal is completely dead. This is approximately 3-4 minutes after the slaughter.
All carcasses must be clearly identified with an official stamp. Non-Halal carcasses shall be maintained in a separate chiller or on separate rails with at least one clear rail between Halal slaughtered and non-Halal slaughtered carcasses.
Offal from non-Halal carcasses shall be packed separately from Halal products by separation at the viscera table and placed in containers labeled non-Halal. The non-Halal product shall be periodically removed by the Muslim supervisor. The product will be condemned or packed after Halal product has been cleared from the room, and this product will not have the Halal stamp on it. Where non-Halal product is packed prior to Halal product, the offal room will be completely cleaned before the commencement of Halal product. In the boning room, Halal carcasses shall be boned out separately from non-Halal carcasses. Prior to the commencement of Halal boning operations, all non-Halal meat will be packed and cleared from the boning room. This is followed by a complete dry clean up of the room, complete wash down of all meat packing and slicing tables, knives and change of all cutting boards.
The Halal cartooned product is stamped Halal, conveyed to the blast chiller for chilling or transported product will be palletized and stacked separately from non-Halal cartooned product in the blast chiller and during transit to freezer stores. Halal product shall be transported on separate racks or pallets from non-Halal product. Halal product shall be identified by a clear impression of Halal brand. Transfer certificate must accompany every Halal load transported from the Abattoir to the boning room or cold storage.
All Halal product loaded from an Abattoir for export must be accompanied by a Halal Interim Certificate2.
REQUIREMENTS FOR BONING ROOMS
- All Halal loads must be received by a Muslim Inspector.
- Halal meat will be boned at a time separate from non-Halal meat, and non-Halal product must not be present in the room during this time.
- Halal product will be boned first and all products cleared before the entry of non-Halal product.
- Where non-Halal boning occurs first, there will be a complete clean up before the entry of Halal product.
- At packing the Halal stamp will be applied to the carton at the same time as the official mark.
- All Halal product transferred from the boning room must be accompanied by a Transfer Certificate.
- All Halal products loaded from boning rooms for export must be accompanied by a Halal Interim certificate.
REQUIREMENTS FOR COLD STORAGE
- All Halal loads must be received by a Muslim Inspector.
- Halal product must be separately stored during blast freezing.
- Frozen Halal product must remain isolated from non-Halal product in the freezer.
- Halal product will be loaded out separate from non-Halal product under the supervision of a Muslim Inspector.
- All Halal product transferred from the cold store must be accompanied by a Transfer Certificate.
- All Halal product loaded for export must be accompanied by a Halal Interim Certificate.
PRE-SLAUGHTER CONDITIONS FOR ANIMALS / POULTRY
Only animals and poultry that fulfill the following will be allowed for slaughter:
- All animals and poultry must be healthy, free from any signs of wounds and disease, or any form of disfigurement.
- Animals and poultry should be treated in a humane manner prior to slaughter. Any ill – treatment, beating, acts that may cause stress or fear are strictly forbidden on all animals and poultry awaiting slaughter.
- Any acts of injury or cutting is prohibited on animals prior to their slaughter.
Conditions of Slaughter
The slaughtering of Halal animals should be fully separated from the slaughter of non – Halal animals. Halal slaughter should be carried out according to the following regulations:
- Halal slaughter should be performed only by a Muslim (not Kitabi or others) who is sound of mind, mature and who fully understands the fundamental rules and conditions related to slaughter of animals is Islam.
- The animals to be slaughtered must be animals that are Halal and can be eaten by Muslim.
- The animal must be fully alive or deemed to be alive at the time of slaughter.
GUIDELINES FOR MECHANICAL SLAUGHTERING OF CHICKENS
- The person handling the chicken and the operator of the machine should be Muslim appointed by APHSNZ.
- The operator must recite the prayer prior to switching the mechanical knife.
- Should the slaughter man leave the slaughter area, he will be replaced by another Muslim slaughter man. The former will stop the line and switch off the mechanical knife. To restart the operation the second slaughter man must recite the prayer as described above, before switching on the mechanical knife and the line.
- The knife used should be of a single blade type and must be sharp.
- The trachea, oesophagus, and major blood bevels in the neck region (jugular and carotid) of the bird must be severed allowing proper bleeding.
- To have the birds facing the mechanical knife, slaughtering the bird at the back of the head is not permitted.
- The slaughter man is required to check that each bird is properly slaughtered.
- Assistant slaughter man should slaughter manually any birds that miss the mechanical knife.
- The scalding (defeathering) tank should be at a reasonable distance from the slaughtering area thus ensuring that the bird has no life prior to entering the hot water tank.
- The temperature of the water should not exceed 52 degrees Celsius.
- Halal logo / stamp should be at all time under the control of APHSNZ personnel.
- Halal transfer certificate should be issued for every single Halal load out.
The details of slaughterers, supervision, contamination, processing, storage, Halal identification, certification are as if beef / sheep manual (APHSNZ Halal / Food Manual).
HALAL SLAUGHTER MAN / INSPECTOR REGISTRATION
- All new and existing applicants for registration must be practicing Muslims of good character and faith and must be known by at least two prominent New Zealand Muslims who are prepared to write a reference about them.
- All new Slaughter men must obtain a reference letter from the Imam of the Mosque where the Slaughter man is well known.
- The Slaughter man must attend a practical and theoretical course for a period of two weeks.
- They must be allowed to work in New Zealand and be members of an Islamic Society.
- All Halal Slaughter men must register with the ASIA PACIFIC HALAL SERVICES NEW ZEALAND PTY LTD (APHSNZ) annually and obtain a current Identity Card (I.D card) before they may begin Halal Slaughtering.
- All Halal Slaughter men and personnel must carry their I.D. Cards at all times while doing Halal Slaughtering.
- Registration as a Halal Slaughter man is subject to approval by the State Director. Although registration of Muslim Slaughter men is undertaken by the New Zealand Meat and Livestock Corporation the APHSNZ reserves the right to appoint and dismiss applicants at its discretion.
- All I.D. cards are to remain with the APHSNZ until specific work has been arranged for registered members.
- Being issued a Slaughter man ID card by no means guarantees the applicant employment in an abattoir or Halal meat Establishment.
- Possession of a Halal Slaughter man ID card qualifies the applicant to be considered for employment by an abattoir or a meat work nominated by the APHSNZ
- The APHSNZ reserves the right to transfer, promote or demote any Slaughter man as it sees fit.
- If requested, Slaughter men will be required to pass a medical examination conducted by the establishment’s Medical practitioner in line with company employment policies.
- All Slaughter men must comply with all health and hygiene requirements as detailed in the establishment’s induction program, quality system or other relevant programs in place.
- All Slaughter men will comply with all Occupational Health and safety program requirements or practices as detailed in the establishment’s induction program or Occupational Health and Safety program.
TRANSPORTATION AND STORAGE
All Halal product must be segregated from non-Halal product at all times. Segregation can be provided by leaving ample space between Halal and non-Halal products or by providing a physical barrier or by providing totally separate storage areas for Halal and non-Halal products.
At no time can any exposed pig or pig by-products be stored in the same storage area as Halal product.
Chillers or freezers containing any pig or pig by-products cannot have Halal product stored in them.
Halal and non-Halal, excluding any pig product, product may be stored in the same chiller/freezer so long as there is adequate separation between the product as discussed above.
Transportation of Halal and non-Halal product must meet the same criteria mentioned above: that is, no pig or pig-byproducts must be transported in the same truck/container and any Halal or non-Halal product transported in the same truck/container must be correctly segregated as mentioned above.